Math vocabulary is one of the founding bases of mathematics. Math vocabulary for kids, especially, what each mathematical function is called and what it does, paves the way for a child’s future understanding of the subject. However, at times it may become boring to lean plain facts. For this reason, math games are the best method to teach kids terms in math. The following math games and game ideas will allow you to make math for kids fun and engaging.
Games for Math Vocabulary for Kids
1) Guess the Word
If you want a group math game which is just a lot of fun to play, this is the one for you. Guess the word needs a bit of preparation before it can be played, but it is completely worth it. To make it simpler for you, download the list of words with clues, cut in shape and play.
Or, before the fun starts, you will need:
- Rectangular slips of paper
Once you have these ingredients, you are ready to make the slips:
- Take a slip of paper and write down a math vocabulary for kids at the top.
- Below the term, write down words associated with it. For example, if the term is ‘line’, the associated words could be ‘straight’, ‘geometrical’, etc.
- Make as many slips as possible.
After the slips are prepared, you can start the game.
How to Play
- One player will take a slip and the other players will attempt to guess what the term on the slip is.
- The player with the slip cannot say the associated words listed on the slip. For example, if ‘straight’ is listed under the term ‘line’, then the player cannot use this term.
- The game can be timed, or can be played till the players run out of slips.
- Whoever guesses the most terms, wins.
There can be no doubt that this game will rekindle an interest for terms in math in your kids.
2) The List of Terms in Math
This is a simple game involving math vocabulary for kids. First, you will need the following items to play the game:
- Blank Sheets of Paper
Once you have the things you need, you are ready to play the game.
How to Play
- Each player starts with a blank sheet of paper. If required, they can take more.
- Before the game is started, a time limit is to be set. Depending on how long you want to play, timings can vary from a minute to an hour.
- Within the given time limit, they must write down as many terms in math as possible.
- The player with the highest number of terms by the end of the time limit, wins.
You can make this game more challenging by making the players give examples of the terms they use. For example, if a player writes the term ‘numerator’, then she must solve a sum involving fractions.
3) Math Vocabulary for Kids Team Challenge
This game is a team sport that encourages kids to be fast, have quick recall and inspires teamwork. Before we go into the game, let’s look at what we need:
- Slips of paper (as many as possible) of two different colors
The more people you have, the more fun and challenging the game becomes. So, make sure that you have a sizable number of players. One the players are ready, you can start the game.
How to Play
- Take slips of one color and write down a mathematical term, for example, isosceles triangle.
- The slips of the other color will remain blank.
- The slips will be placed in two separate bowls.
- Teams will be made up of two people each.
- Before the game starts, one team member will take a couple of blank slips.
- Once the game starts, the other team member will pick out a slip with math vocabulary for kids and read it out to their partner, who must draw or explain it on their slip.
- The game can be timed, or it can be played until the players run out of slips.
- At the end of the game, whichever team gave the most correct explanations for the math terms, wins.
This game can be played at anytime, anywhere and provides great math help for kids.
Math games are an excellent way to teach math vocabulary for kids. Getting kids involved in the learning progress helps them understand the subject better and inspires them to explore further.
Sharing is caring